InFacts is a journalistic enterprise making the fact-based case for Britain to remain in the European Union. We are founded by a group of editors who believe it is in our interest to stay in the EU despite its imperfections. We are pushing for a referendum campaign that is not marred by inaccuracies and twisted logic. InFacts aims to set the record straight when it spots such errors, while making a positive case for our membership based on research and argument. Most of our rebuttal is focussed on those who want “out”, but we don’t shirk from directing fire at those who want “in” when they stray too.
Hugo Dixon – Chairman and Editor-in-Chief
Geert Linnebank – Director
Sebastian Mallaby – Director
INFACTS CODE OF ETHICS
InFacts is committed to upholding the highest ethical standards. It will fulfil its journalistic mission to make the fact-based case for Britain to remain in the EU in an open, courteous and fair-minded way.
- hold accuracy sacrosanct. They check their facts systematically and thoroughly
- correct an error quickly and openly
- don’t fabricate or plagiarise stories
- obtain material by honest, straightforward and open means
- protect the identity of sources who supply information in confidence
- don’t pay for a story
- don’t take personal advantage of information gained in the course of their duties
- refuse any bribe or other inducement to influence, distort or suppress a story
- seek a comment from any party targeted in a story they’re preparing for publication
- don’t publish an article without the approval of an editor
- declare potential conflicts of interest to their editor
GOVERNANCE AND FINANCE
The legal name of the company that owns InFacts is Referendum Facts Ltd. This is a company limited by guarantee. Editorial independence is guaranteed by an editorial board, who give their time for free. The members of the editorial board are also members of the company. They have all pledged money to fund InFacts.
The company is run by a board of three directors, chaired by Hugo Dixon. The others are Geert Linnebank and Sebastian Mallaby. All are members of the editorial board. The directors are not paid.
In addition to the financial contributions by the editors, InFacts is funded by donations. The editorial board has agreed the following policy:
- No individual contribution will account for more than 20% of total donations
- Non-British citizens will not account for more than half total contributions
- InFacts will not take money from campaigning organisations, political parties or official institutions
- The names of all contributors will be published on the InFacts website
At 17 Feb, 2016, contributions had been received from the following individuals:
Anne Applebaum, Bruce Clark, Roger de Freitas, Hugo Dixon, Bill Emmott, Manuel Falco, Will Hutton, Anshu Jain, Colm Kelleher, Andrew Large, Mark Lewisohn, Geert Linnebank, Sebastian Mallaby, Carlo Micheli, Mark Moody-Stuart, Bruno Mourge D’Algue, Caroline Pereira, Franck Petitgas, Annalisa Piras, Michael Prest, Caroline Pridgeon, Simon Robertson, David Rothschild, Victor Sebestyen, Davide Serra, Ewi Shafran, Yojana Sharma, Rupert Soames, Michael Tory, David Warren, Alan Wheatley.
This list will be updated periodically
COMMENTS MODERATION POLICY
We welcome comments on all our posts. All posts are subject to moderation. Comments will be edited or amended if they are: spam; in breach of the law; or abusive or offensive.